Monday, August 29, 2011

I'm in the middle of a hurricane, but how about those 8x10s?

When wedding planning first began  I made a top 5 list of  items I find worth spending more money on. Photography just so happened to be near the top of that list. After searching for what seemed like endless amounts of time throughout the NWI region and Chicagoland area...I had almost given up. There were too many freelance photographers who own a Nikon with a basic kit lens and ta da! Think they are a photographer. Then, there are the really talented ones, who obviously are running their own business but charge ridiculously outrages prices (such as one I wont mention who wanted 6,000 for 6 basic hours with one photographer and no picture credit). After about 2 or so straight months of searching  I decided to stop my searching and go with a national chain that my sister used in her 2007 wedding. I signed up online and awaited my phone call from the sales person who was assigned to me, Lori.

When she called the conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hello?"
Lori: "Is this Susan"
Me: "Suzanne, yes who is this?" (I could write an entire post about how many times this happens to me in one day)
Lori: "Oh my god HI Suzanne this is Lori from the big photography company! HOW ARE YOUUU!?"
Me: "Um, I'm great, how are you?"
Lori: "well, I'm FANTASTIC. However, I'm on Long Island right now and Hurricane Irene is coming but oh my GOD I'm so excited to talk to you about you wedding dayyyyyyy!"

The rest of the conversation went something like that with Lori yelling into the phone about how excited she was for me and Tim (like we were best friends). I was  trying my hardest not to laugh or just hang up as she was so incredibly ridiculous with her Long Island accent I could barely understand her.  She went on and on about packages, deals, coupons, hurricanes, water damage, all the while yelling like she had just been picked to be a contestant on the Price is Right. There were lots of "WOOOOO!"s and "OH MY GAWD"s.  Not to mention this was the afternoon before Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene was supposed to hit. I learned a lot about her plans to board up the place and stick through the wind and rain as well. This woman was nuts.

Thankfully after a few phone calls and texts, (Those were just as bad: "Suzanne, Lori from Big Picture Company, have you talked to Tim yet about the package I created?!?!?!?!") I finally signed off on the package deal. Two photographer  for 10 hrs and a videographer for 6 all for the grand total of $3,500. I'd say  yelling in my ear was well worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment